The Museum of Oltenia

Local knowledge of Craiova submitted by .
Share Local Knowledge
Subject
The Museum of Oltenia
Location
Str. Popa ?apc? nr.8, Craiova
Knowledge
It is located in three different buildings that host three different exhibitions. The building from str. Popa ?apc? nr.8 is where the Nature Science Museum and a traditional pottery shop are located. In the building from str. Madona Dudu nr. 14 the history and archaeology exhibition is located, with a new build wing. The building from str. Matei Basarab nr.16 is one of the oldest in the city, built in the XVth century. Here the ethnography exhibition is located

The above content is provided by Wikivoyage

loading...

More Local Knowledge

Local knowledge is submitted by travellers and is based on personal experiences. This might include recommendations of places to eat or drink, things to see and do, local shopping areas, information about local customs and local tourism tips.

See and Do

  • The Museum of Oltenia Craiova - It is located in three different buildings that host three different exhibitions. The building from str. Popa ?apc? nr.8 is where the Nature Science Museum and a traditional pottery shop are located. In the building from str. Madona Dudu nr. 14 the history and archaeology exhibition is located, with a new build wing. The building from str. Matei Basarab nr.16 is one of the oldest in the city, built in the XVth century. Here the ethnography exhibition is located [from Wikivoyage]
  • Craiova Art Museum Craiova - The Art Museum of Craiova is located in the sumptuous palace of the former magnate Jean Mihail. Built between 1899-1907, according to the plans of the French arhitect Paul Gottereau, the palace represents, stylistically, a rather free interpretation of the late baroque. The wealth of the patrimony, the quite elegant backgrround, with Venetian mirrors, candelabrums of Murano crystal, Carrara marble staircases, walls with tapestry of Lyon silk, but specially the particular way the objects are displayed, have brought it to the attention of the visitors. At the origin of the museum is the Alexandru and Aristia Aman pinacotec, founded in 1905 and sheltered in the house of the L?ceanu family (Aristia's parents). Along the years, acquisitions by the City Hall or donations have been added: Cornetti, Glogoveanu, N.Romanescu, Jean Mihail. Taken over by the Museum of Oltenia in 1950, this rich fund was removed, in 1954, to the present center turned into the Art Museum. The Museum is organized in three sections: - The European art Gallery (the Dutch, Flemish, French and Italian schools), located in five rooms on the ground floor of the palace; - The Romanian Art Gallery(from feudal to contemporary art), on the first floor; - The Brancusi room with masterpieces from the youth of the great sculptor: Vitellius, Vainglory, Head, Fragment of Torso, The Kiss and Melle Pogany. [from Wikivoyage]

Booking Enquiry Form

You are submitting a booking enquiry. The Museum of Oltenia will then contact you by email with details of availability and prices.