International Maritime Museum Hamburg
The maritime heart of Hamburg – gate to Hamburg’s World Heritage site “Speicherstadt”
The International Maritime Museum Hamburg (IMMH) – inaugurated on 25 June 2008 by Federal President Horst Köhler, Hamburg’s First Mayor Ole von Beust and Prof. Peter Tamm – invites you to explore 3000 years of maritime history. The nine “decks” in the historic Kaispeicher B tell of discoverers and conquistadors, of captains and ordinary sailors. On their tours, visitors will discover new horizons. They will feel the lure of far-away shores. They will experience how nature challenges mankind and how it re-establishes the boundaries over and over again. And they will find out how curiosity and the striving for power spur the advancement of seafaring.
The base of the museum is the collection of Professor Peter Tamm. The largest collection of maritime items in private hands was endowed to a foundation and is now accessible to the public at the Kaispeicher B in the harbour town of Hamburg. A modern museum concept was developed for the 1000 large and 36000 miniature models, 5000 paintings, graphic art pieces, water colours as well as numerous other exhibits. Thus, two thirds of the collection is on permanent display. The library and archive offer access for research purposes to 120000 books and atlases, 50000 construction plans, 2000 movies, 500000 photos and 15000 ship’s menus as well as many other items.
The exhibition is shown among nine decks, each focussing on a specific theme. Each deck is arranged in chronological order. A timeline with the most important dates in reference to the particular focus facilitates historical classification. A guidance system and a leaflet show the way through each floor.
The decks at a glance:
Deck 1: The discovery of the world: Navigation and communication
Deck 2: With the wind around the world: Ships under sail
Deck 3: History of ship building: From craft to science
Deck 4: Serving on board: In the arsenal of history
Deck 5: War and peace: Navies of the world since 1815
Deck 6: Modern sea travel: Merchant ship and cruise liner travel
Deck 7: Expedition Sea: The earth’s last secret
Deck 8: Art collection: Naval paintings and treasure chamber
Deck 9: Models: The big world of little ships
Deck 10: Event area, special events
Eat and Drink
- the coffee shop - Hamburg (0.7 miles) - Ganz gemäß dem Firmenleitspruch „Taste the difference“ verknüpfen wir Spezialitäten Kaffee m...
- DIE BANK - Brasserie & Bar - Hamburg (0.9 miles) - Enjoy our creative hanseatic rooted kitchen & international bar culture in a unique, cosmopolitan at...
- Peaberries Kaffee - Hamburg (1.1 miles) - The Peaberries Kaffee is a small cosy café which offers its self-roasted coffee. Next to the very g...
- Luicella's - Hamburg (1.3 miles) - Best Ice Cream in Town.
- Skyline Bar 20up - Hamburg (1.5 miles) - Enjoy cocktails and drinks with a spectacualr view over harbour, city and the river Elbe. The Skylin...
See and Do
- International Maritime Museum Hamburg Hamburg (0.0 miles) - International Maritime Museum Hamburg The maritime heart of Hamburg – gate to Hamburg’s World Her...
- Panoptikum - The wax museum Hamburg (1.4 miles) - Likeness is no coincidence. These are works of art. The Panoptikum is the oldest wax museum in German...
- ZUEHLKE bar á vin nature - Hamburg (2.6 miles) - We are The natural wine bar in the north.. we selling raw wine to take or to stay here in the bar wit...