The Cable Car is the best way to the “Top of the Rock” and a must-see attraction for all visitors to Gibraltar. The journey takes passengers 412m above sea level in approximately 6 minutes offering spectacular views all the way. The Top Station is perched at the very summit of the Rock, with the sheer cliffs to the east and tree-covered slopes leading to the City of Gibraltar to the west.
Visitors to the Cable Car Top Station will be able to meet Gibraltar’s most famous residents, the famous Barbary Apes, in their natural environment. On arrival at the top station they will be waiting for you to see if there are any goodies, such as food, they can pick pocket from you! They are usually happy to have a selfie taken however please be advised that they are wild animals roaming freely in and around the top station and Upper Rock Nature Reserve and will bite if they feel threatened. They are also very protective of their young so be extra careful when the babies are around. The Cable Car Middle Station is located at Apes Den. Should visitors wish to visit Apes Den it is suggested that they do this on their way down. Please note that the Cable Car will not stop at the middle station between the months of April to October (inclusive).
Included in the above price for adults is the Multimedia Tour, a personal state-of-the-art Interactive Multimedia Guide which allows visitors to gain an insight into Gibraltar’s fascinating history whilst being guided around the Top Station terraces. The commentary is available in seven languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish and Portuguese. (only available to adults). The tour is also available for download as an APP to personal mobile devices free from the Apple and Android App stores. Included in your ticket is free wi-fi so you can download the app and catch up with friends and family while at the top station.
Visitors have access to the Upper Rock Nature Reserve from the Top of the Rock. Sites include St. Michael’s Cave, the Ape’s Den, the Great Siege Tunnels and the Moorish Castle. Tickets are available at the Cable Car ticket office and at the Souvenir Shop. St Michael’s Cave is located 0.9km down hill from the Cable Car Top Station (approx 15/20 min walk). Visitors can then continue down hill for a further 0.8km to the Cable Car Middle Station. (Approx 15/20 min from St Michael’s Cave). Please note that the Cable Car will not be stopping at the Middle Station between the months of April to October.
A range of snacks are also available at the Cable Car Top Station which can be enjoyed whilst visitors enjoy the spectacular views in air conditioned comfort and a Souvenir Shop with a unique range of gifts.
The easiest way to purchase your Gibraltar Cable Car ticket is to visit the website www.gibraltarinfo.gi. By purchasing your tickets via the website you will be able to take advantage of the exclusive Cable Car shuttle which will take you directly from the frontier to the base station. You will also be fast - tracked by using the pre purchased ticket office window.
0930-1915hrs 7 days a week. Last Cable Car down 1945hrs
Except 1st Nov to 31st March 0930-1715hrs. Last Cable Car down 1745hrs
The Cable Car is open all year round seven days a week, except Christmas day, New Years Day and the odd day when the wind gets a little too rebellious. Safety 1st. Visit the website for further information.
• The Cable Car runs continuously throughout the day, approx every 10 min.
• Please note that the Cable Car will not be stopping at the Middle Station between the months of April to October (inclusive).
• No reservation is required.
HOW TO GET THERE:
The Cable Car is located at the southern end of Main Street right next to the Alameda Botanical Gardens. The GibraltarInfo exclusive and direct shuttle service will take you from the Gibraltar side of the frontier to the Cable Car base station. The shuttle bus can be found in the coach parking area on the opposite side of the road after passing through passport control and customs building. The shuttle departs every 30 mins however please be warned that traffic in Gibraltar, including the landing and taking off of planes, might cause delays to the service. Also, please be aware that other buses do pick up and drop off passengers at the parking area so not all buses will be the shuttle service. The GibraltarInfo shuttle buses will have a sign on the front window. If in doubt, please ask for more information at the GibraltarInfo kiosk located on the Spanish side of the frontier and they will be able to offer assistance.
Local transport buses numbers 2, 3 & 4 will all drop you off within sight of the Cable Car base station. Just ask the helpful bus drivers to point you in the right direction. If you do plan to drive in (you are warned you might find yourself in a lengthy queue to enter and/or exit Gibraltar) and are looking for a car par
Eat and Drink
- Blue ⚓️ Anchor Fish & Seafood Restaurant - Gibraltar (0.6 miles) - A quaint family run Fish & Seafood restaurant, situated just off the Main Street area behind the old...
- d'Alicia Café - Sotogrande Cádiz (11.3 miles) - Situated in Estepona, San Pedro and Sotogrande our d’Alicia café is a friendly and family space. ...
- El Trasmallo de Agustino - Torreguadiaro (12.1 miles) - We are Bar-Tapas and Restaurant specialized in fresh fish and seafood. Our kitchen is local and tradi...
See and Do
- Cable Car Gibraltar (0.0 miles) - The Cable Car is the best way to the “Top of the Rock” and a must-see attraction for all visitor...
- Gibraltar Tours Gibraltar (0.4 miles) - The only way to discover Gibraltar is taking the Gibraltar Tour with your own personal tour guide. Y...
- Dolphin Adventure Gibraltar Gibraltar (1.0 miles) - Overview See Gibraltar's dolphins wild and free! Sail The Bay of Gibraltar with Dolphin Adventure...
- Dolphin Safari Gibraltar (1.1 miles) - Would you like to book a dolphin trip, a rock tour or a day trip to Gibraltar? You may also book a c...
- The Original Dolphin Safari Gibraltar (1.1 miles) - Join us for the experience of a lifetime to see the wild dolphins of Gibraltar. This is the very bes...