A “museum of wonders”: half a million windows open on the curiosities of the world, an unexpected journey through memory and fantasy.
The collection comprises, besides trade cards, stickers and trading cards, similar materials such as old prints, match boxes, poster stamps, paper money, menus, pocket calendars, albums to collect cards, published by companies or created by collectors following their taste and fantasy, and more collectibles.
The museum, unique in quantity and quality because of the rarity of its collections, preserves and catalogs all its materials following specific standards, becoming a point of reference for researchers in this field.
After walking through a wonder room, the visitors enter into the exhibition room, hosting six display structures that mimic a gigantic album ready to be open, thanks to eight side panels which can be pulled out.
The Antecedents: recurring iconography from ancient prints to contemporary cards and stickers
Chromolithography: the invention of chromolithography and printing process from a drawing to a trade card
Origin and diffusion: from the French debut of trade cards in the second half of Nineteenth century to the Italian adventure of contests in the 1930s
Liebig: the most famous trade card production in the world
Not only trade cards: cigarette cards, pocket calendars, poster stamps, menus, placecards, hotel luggage labels and other minor collections
Modern stickers and cards: Post-World War Two sport cards and albums
Every display structure develops a specific theme nevertheless related to the others, with original prints and items: the pieces on display are 2500, while the total of the Museum holdings reaches the 500.000 units. The visitor can explore different points of view about history and customs of the last 150 years.
Along with the permanent exhibition, a 12 meters long window hosts temporary exhibitions, dedicated to different subjects: science fiction, old advertising, astrology and myth, biodiversity. Every exhibition features hundreds of cards, also projected on the large screen in the hall, and an extensive catalogue.
The Museum organizes conferences, performances, and meetings related to the topics of temporary exhibitions, as well as to specific themes of collecting.
In addition, the Museum offers:
Access, upon reservation, to the library and the archive
Multimedia space to examine the exhibition and access the online catalogue IMAGO, dedicated to graphic and cartographic works preserved in libraries, archives, and museums of the Emilia-Romagna Region.
The Museum enlarges its collections accepting donations, which are preserved, studied and presented to the public in exhibitions and publications acknowledging the name of the donors. Also, a specific section of the Museum’s website is dedicated to them.
Eat and Drink
- Ristorante la locanda del mulino - Maranello (8.7 miles) - Ristorante tipico ricavato dalla ristrutturazione di un vecchio mulino con ampio giardino estivo Cuc...
- ITALIAN DAYS FOOD EXPERIENCE - BOLOGNA (23.0 miles) - Our main objective is to help all of our Foodie-customers to understand and buy outstanding and auth...
See and Do
- Museo della Figurina Modena (0.0 miles) - A “museum of wonders”: half a million windows open on the curiosities of the world, an unexpecte...
- MotorStars Italian Car Factory Tours Castelfranco Emilia (7.0 miles) - MotorStars - the ORIGINAL Italian Car Factory Tour - offer you first class tours to the most prestig...
- Lamborghini Museum sant'agata bolognese (9.7 miles) - The Lamborghini Museum, was renovated on the 9th of June 2016 to provide exhibit space for all major...
- Acetaia La Vecchia Dispensa Castelvetro di Modena (10.0 miles) - Are you bored about the usual tourist sightseeing? La Vecchia Dispensa gives you the possibility to ...
- Italian Factory Motor Tour Bologna (22.5 miles) - We offer Private Tours to most Italian famous Car Production Places, Museums and Collections in Emil...