Susquehanna Art Museum
1401 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102
In 1989, the Susquehanna Art Museum (SAM) began as a mere dream in the minds of a group of central Pennsylvanian art educators who felt strongly that the capital city needed an art museum. Guided by a desire to provide a forum that would be innovative, relevant, and engaging, these educators worked alongside community leaders, businessmen and women, and a group of dedicated volunteers to make this dream a reality.
A little more than two decades later, SAM is Central Pennsylvania’s only dedicated art museum, mounting exhibitions that reflect the diverse cultural heritage of the community as well as a wide range of aesthetic interests. The galleries feature the work of local, regional, national, and international artists.
In addition, SAM’s innovative outreach program, the VanGo! Museum on Wheels, reaches thousands of students each year and brings original works of art to students who otherwise lack such opportunities. VanGo! teaches all children that creativity lies within each of us, providing a forum for further development of important problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
SAM is dedicated to encouraging and inspiring visitors of all ages to become more familiar with; knowledgeable of and appreciative of the art and culture that surrounds them. Educational programming is developed to enhance and enrich the visitor experience, providing a wide variety of classes, lectures, workshops, discussions, critiques, and more for adult learners. SAM’s youth art programs explore drawing, painting, sculpture, art history, and art appreciation—a unique experience for students to learn from original works of art in a museum setting.
Local knowledge is submitted by travellers and is based on personal experiences. This might include recommendations of places to eat or drink, things to see and do, local shopping areas, information about local customs and local tourism tips.
Eat and Drink
- Midtown Scholar Bookstore and Cafe - Harrisburg (0.1 miles) - Large bookstore and cafe, also contains largest academic used bookstore between New York and Chicago.
- Broad Street Market - Harrisburg (0.1 miles) - Comprised of two large historic buildings that house an array of foods from Amish produce and meats, to an international deli and cheese shop, to organic and whole foods. Located on Verbeke St and 3rd St.
- Strawberry Square - Harrisburg (0.8 miles) - A major shopping complex in downtown Harrisburg, that has an open air feel with many food and specialty shops.
- The Pennsylvania Bakery - Camp Hill (2.5 miles) - Bakery with a wide and ever changing selection of deserts, breads, and coffee.
- Sophia's On Market - Camp Hill (3.7 miles) - Bakery and cafe.