A little about Puhoi River Canoe Hire Ltd
Owners Kate and George Freeman of Puhoi River Canoe Hire are extremely proud of their unique slice of Kiwi life. This well loved business has been operating for over 25years and is a favourite among locals and tourists alike.
They are living the Kiwi dream and are proud of the history of the valley and the Puhoi River. The original Bohemian pioneers were paddled up this waterway by local Maori in 1864 to settle in the Puhoi Valley. They now use the original landing site of those early pioneer ancestors to launch their kayaks for the leisurely kayak adventure meandering 8kms downriver from the Village to the Sea.
It is always a warm welcome at Puhoi River Canoes with the majority of customers being referred or repeats, it is a nice friendly environment. The Puhoi River is tidal and it is essential to book your kayaking to coincide with the tide times. There is no deposit required when booking and you are not held to your booking on the weather, however, you will be charged on the day for the confirmed kayak numbers you have booked so it is important you are only booking what you require. All the kayaking that Puhoi Canoes offer on the river is unguided however they do provide some instruction and transport return to base if required. Puhoi River Canoe Hire will not provide any onwater guide or take any responsibility for your group while on the water. They do not hire kayaks to children under the age of 18yrs without adult supervision and cannot take any children under 3yrs. Sorry No dogs.
The trips start with a summary of the kayaking operation, an explanation of the river and paddling instruction for those new or rusty paddlers. You are kitted out with a comfortable dry buoyancy vest, a river map, set up in your kayak and set off for your adventure. The Full River Adventure kayak trip from the Puhoi Historic Village to the Wenderholm Regional Park is 8km (2+hrs) of flat (no rapids or waterfalls!) tidal (always going with you) water. If you decide to go exploring you can extend the trip up to 10 or 12kms. You are met at the Wenderholm Park and transported (10mins) back to the village by courtesy shuttle. You can also hire kayaks for a 1hour kayak experience paddling in/around the Puhoi Village part of the river.
Puhoi River Canoes have one of the largest hire fleets in New Zealand and have both single and double kayaks, Canadian Canoes, and have recently added inflatable stand-up paddleboards to their hire fleet. All are available for 1hr hire or the Full River kayaking adventure. The double kayaks will take 2 paddlers + 1 child passenger 3-5yrs and the Canadian Canoes will take 2 paddlers + 2 child passengers 3-8yrs or 3 teenage paddlers. Our double kayaks are extremely stable and very comfortable and the best options for any adults with back issues. There is a kayak, canoe or board to suit everyone and they can cater for groups up to 65 max.
Puhoi Canoes are a NZ Tourism Qualmark Endorsed Visitor Activity, are ARC Regional Park Tourist Operator permit holders, Are members of the Puhoi Business Group, the Matakana Coast Wine Country,
Members of the Matakana, Warkworth, i-sites and are 100% Proudly Kiwi owned and operated.
Full Puhoi River Adventure Kayak Trips operate everyday 1 Sept - 30 June (except Christmas Day)
Bookings Essential .Tide dependant
$55 Single kayak/SUP
$100 Double Kayak - $110 Canadian Canoe
Puhoi Village 1hour Kayak Experience operate everyday 1 Sept - 30 June (except Christmas Day/Boxing day)
Bookings Essential. Tide dependant
$30 Single kayak/SUP
$60 Double Kayak - $70 Canadian Canoe
Wenderholm Park Summertime Beach Hire operate everyday 26 Dec – 12 Jan, Summer weekends till 31 March. Bookings not required hire direct at the Park Tide/weather dependant
Rates per hour
$30 Single kayak/SUP
$60 Double Kayak/Canadian Canoe
All kayaking on the Puhoi River is tidal.
www.puhoirivercanoes.co.nz /E:email@example.com. PH +64(0)9422 0891/+64 (0)272841672
Eat and Drink
- Snowplanet - Auckland (8.4 miles) - Snowplanet is New Zealand’s only all-year indoor snow resort open every day of the year, located 3...
- JAC's Trading Co - Whangaparaoa (9.6 miles) - A family friendly gastropub nestled on top of the hill at Stanmore Bay in Whangaparaoa. Boasting som...
- Ascension Wine Estate - Matakana (9.8 miles) - Ascension Wine Estate is a beautifully situated amongst the vines of Matakana, just 40 minutes north...
- Matakana Market Kitchen - matakana (11.6 miles) - Relaxed Dining at Matakana Matakana Market Kitchen is not just a name, it is an insight into our styl...
- The Vintry - matakana (11.6 miles) - Best selection of Matakana wines under one roof. The Vintry specialises in locally grown Matakana Win...
See and Do
- PUHOI RIVER CANOE HIRE LTD Puhoi Village (0.0 miles) - A little about Puhoi River Canoe Hire Ltd Owners Kate and George Freeman of Puhoi River Canoe Hire ar...
- Waiwera Thermal Resort and Spa Auckland (3.2 miles) - Waiwera Thermal Resort is located only 35 minutes north of Auckland, on the picturesque Hibiscus Coa...
- Snowplanet Auckland (8.4 miles) - Snowplanet is New Zealand’s only all-year indoor snow resort open every day of the year, located 3...
- Gulf Eco Adventures Auckland (9.2 miles) - Gulf Eco Adventures takes you on unforgettable boat trips to the most pristine & remote islands of A...
- Ascension Wine Estate Matakana (9.8 miles) - Ascension Wine Estate is a beautifully situated amongst the vines of Matakana, just 40 minutes north...
- Aotearoa.co.nz - Devonport, Auckland (23.0 miles) - New Zealand made cultural art and gifts from local talent. Proudly supporting local New Zealand artis...
- The Vault Design Store - Ponsonby (24.1 miles) - The Vault design store was founded by current owners Sarah and Philip Solaris with the vision of sho...