Experience the Mackenzie High Country on horseback. Let us take you on a memorable trek through tussock grasslands, high country sheep stations and grand picturesque glacial lakes. Enjoy breathtaking views of the stunning turquoise waters of Lake Tekapo, and the towering Southern Alps. Choose from an easy half hour trek or one of our 1, 2 or 3.5 hour treks.
½ Hour : An easy ride through a pine forest. This is suited for nervous beginners and children
Price per person: Adult $45, Child $35
1 Hour “Lake View”: Consists of a gentle trek through larch and pine forest to the leading south ridge of Mt John, with fantastic views of Lake Tekapo and surrounding station country, then a gentle wander down hill to the lake and finally walking back through oak, silver birch and pine forest.
Price per person: Adult $70, Child $60
2 Hour “Mountain Top”: A stunning ride around the base of Mount John with a breathtaking view of the lake and, from the top of the North end of the mountain, breathtaking views of the Alps and the huge expanse of the Mackenzie Country.
Price per person: Adult $110, Child $100
3.5 HOUR “Glacier Country”: Depending on the weather, this is a ride that takes in the other rides features, but you get the chance to travel on horseback to Lake Alexandrina on the western side of Lake Tekapo. You will appreciate how harsh this land must have been to the early settlers whilst traveling back across this part of The Mackenzie Basin. An absolute must for camera enthusiasts.
Price per person: $160. (min two persons)
Weight limit for all treks is 105kgs (Please advise us if you are over 90kgs.)
We close for winter from mid May until mid September
Eat and Drink
- Kohan Restaurant Lake Tekapo - Lake Tekapo (2.5 miles) - With stunning views from the window, Kohan which means ‘Lakeside’ in Japanese has been in Tekapo...
See and Do
- Mackenzie Alpine Horse Trekking Lake Tekapo (0.0 miles) - Experience the Mackenzie High Country on horseback. Let us take you on a memorable trek through tuss...
- Air Safaris - Lake Tekapo Lake Teakpo (2.3 miles) - Join Air Safaris on a flight of a lifetime, exploring New Zealand's highest mountains and larges...
- Tekapo Helicopters Lake Tekapo (2.5 miles) - Enjoy the most breathtaking way to see the southern alps, including Mt Cook,Fox and Franz Josef glac...
- Moonlight & Starlight Guest Accommodation Lake Tekapo (2.9 miles) - Moonlight & Starlight Guest Accommodation offers guests a range of semi and fully self contained hol...
- Gem Alpaca Stud Fairlie (19.5 miles) - Here at Gem Alpacas we offer Farm Visits We are perfectly placed on the Main Highway from Christchurc...