Pohatu penguins is a family owned and operated business offering nature tours and sea-kayaking safaris to the largest colony of Little penguins on mainland NZ.
We have options for all to enjoy. 2 and 4 hour Scenic nature tours, Evening penguin safari, sea-kayaking safari or even our 24 hour Pohatu package.
Tours leave from our office in Akaroa and your guide will transport you by 4WD mini-van over the crater rim of the long extinct Akaroa volcano to Pohatu/Flea bay where the penguins are. Photo stops along the way and up to 700 meters on the edge of the rim where you can gaze across Akaroa harbor and enjoy stunning views of the endless Pacific Ocean as you learn about the history and unique wildlife of this area.
Evening penguin tour.
This is a wonderful option for people who wish to view our penguins returning to the bay to see them in the wild, viewing them naturally and undisturbed. Camouflage gear and binoculars are provided.
Take part in our monitoring program of nesting boxes during the tour as part of our conservation work. This gives you great insight into the life of a penguin and an opportunity to see the birds up-close.
This option includes pick-up at Akaroa with spectacular Scenic 4WD van ride to Pohatu with photo stop opportunities. Pet sheep will come running for treats.
This tour concentrates mostly on the Little penguin but other native and endemic birds may also be seen. e.g the Yellow Eyed Penguins who breed at the bay.
Tour length is approximately two and a half to three hours. Returns after dark.
This trip can be mind blowing in the right sea conditions. The outer coast of Pohatu Marine Reserve is spectacular with towering sea cliffs sculpted through the ages by the sea into rock stacks, reefs, and deep sea caves. Flea Bay Island and the impressive island arch make an added exciting attraction in settled sea conditions.
Pohatu Marine Reserve also has many marine species such as Penguins, several seal colonies and is often visited by Hectors Dolphins and a great range of sea birds.
Kayaking is open when at least the sheltered bay can be kayaked.
Experience is not necessary, trips are only run in settled safe conditions and fully guided by experienced guides.
Option includes pick-up at Akaroa with a spectacular Scenic 4WD safari to Pohatu with photo stop opportunities and guided sea-kayaking of Pohatu Marine Reserve.
The tour runs from 12.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
2 hour Nature tour.
This is a great tour for anyone wanting a shorter option to explore the area.
With a 4 wheel drive 9 seater van ride and photo-stops en route you will view Akaroa harbour in its entirety, standing on crater rim at our 700 metre view point, hearing about the history of this beautiful landscape by local guides who have lived here for up to five generations.
Visit Pohatu Bay on the outer coast, panoramic views all the way down, working sheep farm and penguin colony.
This is a chance to get great photos of our friendly pet sheep which you can feed from hand for a real kiwi experience.
Then come with us as we monitor penguin nesting boxes and learn of the conservation work we do in the largest colony of little penguins on mainland New Zealand.
Great opportunity to see penguins and their chicks up close on their nests (Note, penguins are only seen in season).
Guides often point out other native birds and wildlife as we go.
Ideal for people on a day trip in Akaroa, giving you the time to also explore our historic town.
Tour length is two hours departing at 11.00am (only available on cruise ship day) and 1.30pm (available everyday).
Full Scenic nature safari.
This is a longer version of the 2 hour Nature tour allowing you to really appreciate the tranquil surroundings of Banks Peninsula and Pohatu bay. It enables you to experience the spectacular and dramatic scenery from crater rim of ancient Akaroa Volcano to volcanic coastal cliffs and Akaroa heads reserve & Lighthouse. Enjoy the beautiful view over Akaroa Harbour and the endless Pacific Ocean! Conservation projects for protection of penguins, lizards and insects can be seen as well as the beautiful red beech forest of Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve with five species of tree ferns.
Great for the keen birdwatcher or photographer.
Complimentary Hot or Cold drink and muffins or cake are provided at the bay.
Pohatu/Flea bay is a working sheep and cattle farm, so sheep to see, to photograph and to feed.
This 4 hour tour runs from 12.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
This tour includes all of our activities plus accommodations. 24 or 48 hours option, ideal for those that wish to stay and discover the area a bit more.
This tour runs from 12.00pm to 12.00pm.
Eat and Drink
- Civil & Naval - Christchurch (18.6 miles) - Opened in 2013, Civil & Naval is a European style tapas bar squeezed into a historic tailor's - ...
- Coffee Culture Lyttelton - Christchurch (18.6 miles) - A selection of great coffee, frappes, smoothies, juices and other cold drinks A selection of hot, col...
- Governors Bay Hotel - Lyttelton (20.3 miles) - The Governors Bay Hotel is one of the oldest, if not one of the most beautiful Hotels in New Zealand...
- Valley Inn Tavern - Christchurch (20.4 miles) - The Valley Inn Tavern is nestled in the surroundings of the peaceful Heathcote Valley. Only a short ...
- The Lotus-Heart - Christchurch (24.5 miles) - The Lotus-Heart is dedicated to conscious living and healthy eating, striving to create a global cui...
See and Do
- Pohatu Penguins nature and sea kayak tours Akaroa (0.0 miles) - Pohatu penguins is a family owned and operated business offering nature tours and sea-kayaking safar...
- Akaroa i-SITE Akaroa (0.0 miles) - Akaroa i-SITE is the one stop shop to do all bookings for activities and accommodation in Akaroa, Ca...
- Fire & Ice - Gemstone Jewellery Specialists Akaroa (0.4 miles) - Fire & Ice showcases a collection of designs from local artisans along with other New Zealand and ov...
- Coast up Close Akaroa AKAROA (0.5 miles) - DISCOVER NEW ZEALAND'S FAMOUS MARINE WILDLIFE, INCLUDING HECTORS DOLPHINS. Spectacular scenery and...
- Akaroa Sailing Cruises Akaroa (0.6 miles) - Welcome to 'A-Class' Sailing Akaroa, Wildlife Sailing Cruises. Step aboard Manutara. A 47-fo...