MARKET TOUR, COOKING CLASS AND LUNCH
Explore Germany’s rich culinary heritage of seasonal and regional vegetable, fish and meat dishes, fruit desserts, herbs and the century-old tradition of organic gardening. Join native German cook Kit Schulte on a culinary journey! Beginning in the morning, we’ll shop in the most famous farmers market in Berlin, the Winterfeldtmarket. You will enjoy delicious samples of Berlin’s local produce, shop farmers’ stalls for fresh organic greens, local fish and meats. Then just steps from the market you will arrive in Kit’s home kitchen to prepare and enjoy a typical German lunch dish, made with tasty, seasonal ingredients. Exploring regional nuances, as well as the influence of neighboring European cuisines, Kit will share her healthy take on traditional German cooking, including freshly prepared sausages, meat, cabbage, and potatoes dishes. If you love food and cooking and are tired of impersonal tours and tourist attractions, then this unique experience offers an authentic and private look into Berlin culinary lifestyle. Why Schöne Heimat? There is no exact English translation. Literally, it means “beauty of home,” but the deeper resonance is 'home where your heart is'.
Schöneberg, centrally located in former West, is Berlin’s most colorful and multicultural district. Many film stars, authors, poets, and scientists have felt at home here – David Bowie and Iggy Pop, Albert Einstein, Hans Fallada, Klaus Kinski, Hildegard Knef, Else Lasker-Schüler, Rudolf Steiner, and Billy Wilder– to name a few. To this day, innumerable restaurants, bars, cafés and clubs keep this tradition alive.
The Winterfeldtmarket in Schöneberg, located at the Winterfeldtplaza next to the St. Matthias Church is one of the best farmer's markets in Berlin. One can find produce of fresh, local organic and/or regional vegetables, fruits, fish and meats. On Saturdays with around 200 stalls present, you may discover rare ingredients like wild herbs, edible flowers, foraged mushrooms, wild game, as well as handcrafted condiments, household goods and wonderful freshly-made Turkish delicacies.
In a small group, we will meet in the morning (9:00 Wednesdays, 8:30 Saturdays) in front of the main entrance of the St. Matthias church. While shopping together for ingredients for a seasonal German dish, Kit will guide you through aspects of German food culture, seasonal customs, and its history of organic farming. On the way to Kit's home, we will stop at wonderful specialty shops, including chocolate and wine!
In Kit’s home kitchen, we will cook a typical seasonal three-course menu and discover a healthy and delicious take on German cuisine, with particular emphasis on regional nuances, the culinary influences from Italy and France, and Germany’s very special cultivation of herbs and their healing powers. The afternoon culminates as we enjoy our home-cooked meal, served with beer and wine available. Tours end around 2 pm, giving you plenty of time to explore the market independently or the charming neighborhood.
Wednesday Market Tour, cooking class and lunch - € 125/person
Saturday Market Tour, cooking class and lunch - € 125/person
*Price includes a welcome glass of German Sekt (sparkling wine), a glass of wine with lunch, a linen shopping bag, and recipes.
*Additional wine may be purchased for consumption at the specialty shops.
*Price might change depending on season and availability.
Kit has been growing, harvesting and cooking fresh, organic foods since she was a child. She was raised in the countryside near her father's trout farm, where she learned to clean and scale fish at age 8. In the summer and fall, there were grandma's vegetables and fruits, eaten fresh, and preserved and savored in winter. Throughout her life Kit has been gathering friends and family around the table for delicious meals and good conversation, often lasting late into the night. Schöne Heimat shares this natural way of finding joy, meaning, and beauty in life with you, our extended family.
GROUP EXPERIENCE - A JOURNEY THROUGH CULINARY GERMANY
An eight course dinner for groups from 10 to 30 people. Experience all of culinary Germany in a beautiful dinner setting at Schöne Heimat in Berlin. Kit Schulte and her team will cook and present fresh, seasonal and organic dishes from the 16 states in an eight-course menu. While the guests indulge the various discoveries, sitting together in a beautiful, typical Berlin dining room, they will also learn about the history of the dishes, how they have been influenced and how they are prepared. Courses are served partly on individual plates and on platters in family style. The dinner is accompanied a with German wine and beer pairing, presented by experts and producers.
COSTS: € 150/per person. This includes all food, an aperitif, accompanying wine and beer, a d
Eat and Drink
- meyan süßholz - berlin (0.0 miles) - Meyan - Süßholz: Mediterrane Feinkost, Frühstück, wechselndes Mittagsmenü, Catering und erlesen...
- VOIMA - Schoeneberg (0.3 miles) - Tervetuloa - welcome aboard the cocktailbar VOIMA. Named after the Finnish icebreaker on which the pr...
- W- Der Imbiss - Berlin (0.3 miles) - Tried Indo- Mexi- Cal- Ital yet? A vegan/vegetarian fusion cuisine with Tiki inspired atmosphere lo...
- Kara Kas Bar - Berlin (0.7 miles) - Kara Kas Bar is a stand up comedy, live music and party venue in Berlin. We offer English comedy on ...
- Happiness Heart Cafe - Berlin (1.2 miles) - Vegan/Veggie Café / Restaurant with homemade cakes and spiritual backround
See and Do
- Schöne Heimat – a culinary explortion of Berlin & Beyond Berlin (0.0 miles) - MARKET TOUR, COOKING CLASS AND LUNCH Explore Germany’s rich culinary heritage of seasonal and regio...
- Magic Bus Berlin Berlin (0.6 miles) - Private Tours/Individuelle Touren English: Experience Berlin or Potsdam with an original VW van from t...
- Kara Kas Bar Berlin (0.7 miles) - Kara Kas Bar is a stand up comedy, live music and party venue in Berlin. We offer English comedy on ...
- BBS Berliner Bären Stadtrundfahrt GmbH Berlin (1.0 miles) - BBS - Berliner Bären Stadtrundfahrt GmbH, Ihr Spezialist auf dem Gebiet der Reiseorganisation in Be...
- Zoo Berlin Berlin (1.2 miles) - Berlin Zoo, which opened in 1844 as the first zoo in Germany, is at present the zoo with the largest...