Set in 940 hectares of forest, Pukaha is on State Highway 2, half way between Napier and Wellington right at the heart of the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail.
A perfect and special stop off point to learn about New Zealand’s very special environment. At Pukaha, we are dedicated to restoring the forest and protecting and nurturing endangered birds and animals – particularly kiwi, kokako, kaka and tuatara. Pukaha has a very successful breeding programme, and is home to the only white kiwi in captivity in the world, Manukura.
Join us to experience New Zealand’s flora, fauna and unique wildlife. Explore our interactive gallery and learn the story of our endemic species and forest restoration. Take part in our 7 daily interactive wildlife talks. Shop in our New Zealand native inspired retail store and have lunch in our Wild Café’
Self guiding or guided tour options available
1 Hour Guided Tour
Available 11am & 2pm daily. The Pukaha guided tour is a fantastic way to experience and truly understand the important work that Pukaha does. A ranger will take you through the Kiwi House, including our special movie theatre, see our birds, and other animals. Hear the stories behind the birds and animals, their history, personalities, and quirks.
2.5 Hour Behind the Scenes Tour
A Pukaha Ranger will guide you on a 1 Hour Guided Tour and then will take you “Behind the Scenes” to give you a hands on experience of life at Pukaha.
Visit the takahe and the Antipodes Island Parakeets in their aviaries. Feed the eels or prepare the food and feed the kaka. If a kiwi health check is taking place, you can be involved. Take a tour of the ‘staff only’ nursery area and maybe feed a juvenile tuatara. There’s always plenty going on behind the scenes at Pukaha!
Night walk adventure
A Pukaha Ranger will take you on an amazing night time adventure. You can feed the eels in the dark, visit the glow worms and go in search of a kiwi in the wild. Time: The tour starts at around 6:00-7:30 pm. (seasonal variations) Availability: Saturday nights only or groups of 25 or more on request, rain or shine. Bookings must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
See and Do
- Pukaha Mount Bruce, National Wildlife Centre Masterton (0.0 miles) - Set in 940 hectares of forest, Pukaha is on State Highway 2, half way between Napier and Wellington ...
- The Alpaca Place Masterton (10.1 miles) - Guided, interactive, alpaca farm tours. Get up close to our amazing alpacas with the opportunity to ...
- The Wool Shed Museum Masterton (15.8 miles) - A great slice of New Zealand’s Farming History - Well worth a visit!! The Museum is housed in tw...
- The Pointon Collection of Cars & Costume Masterton (16.5 miles) - The Pointon Collection is a private museum of mostly vintage cars & motorcycles, displayed as an ant...
- Your Essential Wellbeing Palmerston North (24.7 miles) - When you've been out all day having fun doing the 'tourist adventure thing' or walking r...