A great slice of New Zealand’s Farming History - Well worth a visit!!
The Museum is housed in two century-old historic woolsheds, relocated and situated in the cultural heart of Masterton.
At The Wool Shed you will:
• Experience the sights, smells and noises of being inside a real woolshed
• Learn about how modern New Zealand was developed on sheep farming and wool
• Learn about the lifestyle and culture of the people involved in the shearing and wool handling industry
• See the Golden Shears Hall of Champions and watch exciting footage of past Golden Shears finals
• Sit inside our musterer’s hut and listen to oral histories of local farming & rural history
• See a vast collection of photographs, artefacts and historical collections of shearing memorabilia
Live shearing demonstrations can be arranged with prior notice for group bookings of 10 or more. Come meet some local shearers’ and hear their stories from the sheds. Take part in a live shearing demonstration and see how sheep are shorn.
Spinning and Weaving demonstrations can also be arranged with our local Spinning and Weaving group. See first-hand how the wool moves from ‘off the sheeps’ back’ to the final product.
We also cater for school groups and provide an educational and interactive experience for children of all ages.
Inside our gift shop you will find an exciting array of quality merchandise at very competitive prices - lanolin products, sheep-skins, slippers, Alpaca blankets & scarves, soft toys, MKM Ltd Merino/Possum clothing & accessories as well as items produced by our local Spinning and Weaving group.
Price: $8 Adult, $2 Child, $15 Family
See and Do
- The Pointon Collection of Cars & Costume Masterton (1.7 miles) - The Pointon Collection is a private museum of mostly vintage cars & motorcycles, displayed as an ant...
- The Alpaca Place Masterton (6.1 miles) - Guided, interactive, alpaca farm tours. Get up close to our amazing alpacas with the opportunity to ...
- Stonehenge Aotearoa Carterton (11.3 miles) - A full-scale working adaptation of Stonehenge has been built right here in Aotearoa, allowing all Ne...
- Pukaha Mount Bruce, National Wildlife Centre Masterton (15.8 miles) - Set in 940 hectares of forest, Pukaha is on State Highway 2, half way between Napier and Wellington ...
- Whareama Coastal Walk Masterton (20.2 miles) - The Whareama Coastal Walk is a fantastic one, two or three day, fully catered walking adventure accr...