Wurstelstand LEO is Vienna’s oldest sausage stand
Since the very first beginning we are passionate about always serving the best quality so as to make everybody feel good and enjoy their food!
This is why we only collaborate with local suppliers, all longstanding partners whom we can fully trust. As such we can continuously further develop our large food range and offer new exciting products, even vegetarian or bio-products.
A third generation, family owned enterprise, Wurstelstand LEO was founded 1928 by Leopold Mlynek sen. Among the many guests was also the legendary Austrian Chancellor Bruno Kreisky who truly enjoyed the traditional dishes of the Wurstelstand.
Since 1991 Vera Tondl, the granddaughter of Leopold Mlynek sen., is in charge of the Wurstelstand. She builds a new stand in 1997 in the bright colours white and turquoise. Until today the Wurstelstand LEO is a popular venue by day and night! Also a sought after location for all sorts of events, from art presentations, music performances, food tastings or video shootings.
The large menu offers a huge selection of around 60 dishes and 40 different beverages. Especially in demand is the legendary Cheese Krainer sausage, namely the giant cheese Krainer - the BIG Mama, served on a large silver plate! In appreciation of our many international guests, the menu is also available in English. And we accept card payments.
Local knowledge is submitted by travellers and is based on personal experiences. This might include recommendations of places to eat or drink, things to see and do, local shopping areas, information about local customs and local tourism tips.
Eat and Drink
- Shiraz - Vienna/Outer West (0.0 miles) - This is a small and pretty comfortable, rustic-style bar in the ''city railway bows''. You can smoke water pipes and listen to chill-out music. The owner, a Persian, socialises with all his customers. The bar has a special atmosphere and fair prices. It is a good place to relax.
- The Sign - Vienna/Alsergrund (0.2 miles) - This lounge bar serves experimental cocktails by trained keepers. The cocktails are very laboriously mixed. Very friendly service. From the outside the bar is almost not noticeable, but elongates towards the interior. The card offers many creative choices plus one gets ask for interesting local advices by the waiter. Cocktails marked with the asterisk are served in special bowls during the week.
- Halbestadt - Vienna/Alsergrund (0.2 miles) - The cocktail bar fills quickly, hence it is considered wise to reserve places. The cocktails are done with lots of knowledge and excellent alcohols. Consider asking for their specials as they give good advice. The barkeeper participates to international contests. The card designed by the owner and barkeeper Erich Wassicek varies along season. They serve many classics.
- Weinstadt - Vienna/Alsergrund (0.3 miles) - Every Wednesday the wine bar organises a specific wine tasting. One can choose between many Austrian or international wines.
- Fischer Br?u - Vienna/Outer West (0.3 miles) - The brewery brews according the Reinheitsgebot from 1516 and offers their beers. The place is very well visited.