The only château in the Loire Valley built in the riverbed itself, the Château de Montsoreau was commissioned by Jean II de Chambes, a close advisor to King Charles VII, in 1450. Many famous figures have left their mark on its history, such as Mary, Queen of Scots, Anne of Brittany, Claude of France, Henry IV of France and Francis I. Its avant-garde architecture has inspired artists from Rodin to Turner and writers from Flaubert to Alexandre Dumas.
Transformed into a contemporary art museum and opened in April 2016, the Château de Montsoreau is a new art venue just two hours from Paris in the Loire Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage listed area. Stretching for more than 2,000 m², it boasts a permanent collection of artworks linked to the Art & Language movement, and is believed to be the world’s largest collection of works by this group of artists involved in the founding of Conceptual Art.
April to November - 10h - 19h
December to January - 10h - 17h
Reduced price (students) 7,30€
Practical information :
A restaurant inside the castle : Jean 2 (11h - 18h)
Elevator and acess ramp
Train station : Saumur, Port Boulet
Road : Autoroute A85, Bourgueil exit
Loire à vélo
Eat and Drink
- CHATEAU DE MONTSOREAU - Montsoreau (0.0 miles) - The only château in the Loire Valley built in the riverbed itself, the Château de Montsoreau was c...
- FONTEVRAUD L'HÔTEL - Fontevraud l'Abbaye (2.4 miles) - Located on the border of the regions of Anjou, Touraine and Poitou, the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud is...
- Restaurant At'able! - Chinon (9.1 miles) - Le restaurant At'able ! à Chinon est synonyme de cuisine exigeante. Dans un cadre agréable, lu...
- CREPERIE RESTAURANT LA BLANCHE HERMINE - LANGEAIS (17.8 miles) - Située au cœur de la ville, adossée au Château, de la terrasse vue imprenable sur le Château et...
See and Do
- CHATEAU DE MONTSOREAU Montsoreau (0.0 miles) - The only château in the Loire Valley built in the riverbed itself, the Château de Montsoreau was c...
- Château de Montsoreau Montsoreau (0.0 miles) - The only Loire castle built on the riverbed, just where the river vienne flows into the Loire, the C...
- le tasting room - Loire valley wine tours & day trips from Paris St Georges des Sept Voies (18.7 miles) - Nigel and Cathy Henton are British wine professionals who moved to the Loire 10 years ago. They welc...