We don’t simply sell Cornish pasties. We capture the true taste of Cornwall.
Our family-run Cornish bakeries bring joy to lovers of genuine Cornish food by baking premium quality Philp's Cornish pasties. We use traditional methods and recipes, passed down our family for generations, to hand-make a Cornish pasty of legendary taste.Freshly baked every morning
We’re not a mass market producer, which means the production processes and quality of our pasties and wholesome bakery goods is never compromised. Ever.
We’re a Cornish family-owned and run business with family values at our heart. They’ve helped us face adversity together, shaped our commitment to hard work, and enabled us to keep our founder Sammy Philps’ original vision alive.
Sammy Philp the Grocer
Our Grandfather, Sammy Philp was the instigator of the Philp's Bakery family business. He was quite the character, straight as a die and never minced his words.
From 15 years of age he had his own hand cart from which he sold fruit and vegetables locally but his passion for groceries led him to supply Plymouth market in later years. Often you could see him in all weathers collecting the vegetables he needed. He would buy a whole field of broccoli and cauliflower and cut it himself by hand. He even did all the deliveries, 400 in total, from his Rascal van.
Everett Philp the Baker
Sammy’s cousin, Everett Philp was the baker of the family who began to make our delicious pasties. He was a funny man with a great laugh who was well loved in our home town of Hayle.
He was stick thin but fit as a butcher’s dog, weighing seven stone wet through. He possessed amazing skills and with his muscular arms, fashioned from years of needing and rolling, you’d hear the rhythmic banging of our bakery machine as he cut pasty shapes like a demon. In just three rolls he could turn a golf ball sized piece of dough into a perfect circle to form the pasty. He’d easily make close to 3,000 in a day - all rolled by hand.
To continue reading our story, visit Philp's Pasties website.
Now Philp's Bakery is a thriving business run by Sammy’s grandchildren. Our youngsters now help peel the vegetables and prepare pasties before going to school. The staff members we employ are also from local families who have been with us for many years.
The mark of a genuine Cornish pasty
As a company we believe the quality of our ingredients is the key to everything we produce, particularly our Cornish pasties. Our Philp's pasties are traditionally made in the Cornish way by Cornish folk at our bakeries.
This means we’re recognised and have been accredited by the Cornish Pasty Association.
All of our lush pasty ingredients are sourced locally whenever possible using local farmers and Cornish merchants.
We provide a UK mainland Cornish Pasties By Post service, We can cater for events such as Weddings, Parties etc...
Visit our online shop where you can find hampers and gifts available.
We have 6 shops in Cornwall:
Hayle, East Quay
Praze an Beeble
Directions, telephone numbers etc for our shops can be found on our website.
Eat and Drink
- Philp's Famous Pasties - HAYLE (0.0 miles) - We don’t simply sell Cornish pasties. We capture the true taste of Cornwall. Our family-run Cornish...
- The Cornish Arms - Hayle - Hayle (0.5 miles) - Inside you'll find a warm and welcoming atmosphere; a great place to meet for a chat over a pint...
- Paradise Park and JungleBarn, Hayle, Cornwall - Hayle (0.7 miles) - Your family will love a day in Paradise . . . ! This Award-winning wildlife sanctuary with JungleBarn...
- The Bean Inn Vegetarian Restaurant - St Ives (1.9 miles) - Vegetarian & Vegan restaurant. Fully licensed offering a range of food with inspiration from around ...
- Rosewarne Manor Restaurant - Connor Downs, Hayle (3.2 miles) - Friendly family run and with superb food. A relaxed but smart restaurant offering bar specials, stea...
See and Do
- Paradise Park and JungleBarn, Hayle, Cornwall Hayle (0.7 miles) - Your family will love a day in Paradise . . . ! This Award-winning wildlife sanctuary with JungleBarn...
- West Cornwall Golf Club St Ives (0.7 miles) - An enjoyable and testing links course overlooking St Ives Bay & Hayle Estuary. The oldest course in ...
- Boathouse Theatre St ives (2.2 miles) - Tiny theatre specializing in puppet shows for children and other plays and literary events
- Boathouse Theatre St ives (2.9 miles) - This former Pilchard Cellar is now a tiny, charming theatre just a stone's throw from the harbou...
- St Ives Society of Artists St Ives (3.1 miles) - The Mariners Gallery is the home of The St Ives Society of Artists. This impressive gallery hosts di...
- Polgoon Vineyard & Orchard - Penzance (7.6 miles) - Polgoon are a very friendly family run Cornish vineyard who produce a range of award winning Cornish...