Welcome to this very special private garden tucked secretly away in a Devon valley.
Covering some 20 acres, with three beautiful lakes, this tranquil garden will provide a day of both inspiration and relaxation for the whole family.
Featured in many programmes, the gardens are continually developing and there is something new to see on each visit.
From the moment the first snowdrops poke their little noses through in spring there is so much to see throughout the year until the rich autumnal tints and shiny fat berries of autumn.
The magnificent display of blossom from the massed camellias and rhododendrons is followed by a stream of colour in the bog gardens, as carpets of primulas and iris in all the colours of the rainbow, burst forth. The National Collection of Astilbes follows in a foamy symphony of pastel hues and hydrangeas on the hillside, like French petticoats in sky and lilac, sparkle in the sun.
We garden with wildlife always in our minds and providing habitats for them is extremely important. Tucked away around the gardens are piles of branches and mounds of leaves home to lots of lovely bugs and beasts!
We are sure you will enjoy your visit. Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome too!
Admission to the Garden applies
Events for 2016
Outdoor Performances by Folksy Theatre:
Wednesday 27th July “As You Like It”
Wednesday 17th August Family Show ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’ by Julia Donaldson creator of the Gruffalo
The award winning Garden Tea Room offers a selection of scrumptious homemade and locally sourced food to suit most tastes as well as great views of the garden.
Entry to Garden Tea Room Free.
At Marwood, we aim to provide something a little bit different. The Plant Sales area in the walled garden is not a ‘Garden Centre’ but retains the charm and individuality of an old-fashioned nursery. Our team of experienced gardeners are always happy to give advice and ensure that both you and your plants are happy! Many of the plants are propagated from the rare and unusual specimens you might had admired in the garden and include a large selection of the scarcer varieties of Camellias, Magnolias and Astilbes, along with a huge selection of shrubs, herbaceous plants and bulbs to suit all tastes and styles.
Entry to Plant Sales Free.
Opening Times: Open daily 1st March – 30th September. Gardens open 10am – 5pm. Plant sales 11am – 4.30pm. The Garden Tea Room open 10am – 4.30pm
Contact us for in October and special winter opening times and events.
Garden Admission: Adult £6. Child (under 12) Free. Child (12-16) £2.50
Entry to Plant Sales area only FREE
Entry to Garden Tea Room only FREE*
*Subject to space available in the tea room on the day or make a booking before you visit
Group rates: Coach Groups welcome by appointment. Group 10+ (pre-booked) £5.00 per person and includes an introductory talk by a member of the gardening team on arrival. Free admission and refreshments for driver. Free admission for Group Leader.
Facilities: Visitor information available. Plant Centre. Garden Tea Room with menus to suit all tastes. Special pre-booked group menus for lunches and teas, including Gluten Free options available. Dogs on leads are very welcome. Children’s garden quiz
Eat and Drink
- Kentisbury Grange Hotel - Barnstaple (5.9 miles) - The ultimate luxury country escape. The rooms at Kentisbury Grange are elegant and stylish, furnishe...
- Hele Cornmill and Tearoom - Hele, Ilfracombe (6.4 miles) - A 16th century working cornmill with award winning tearoom situated just 300m from Hele Bay, Ilfraco...
- Settantanove - Ilfracombe (6.5 miles) - SETTANTANOVE Pizzeria Pastaria Gelateria A warm friendly mediterranean welcome awaits you in o...
- The Ultimate Adventure Centre - BIDEFORD (9.5 miles) - We provide many different outdoor adventure days & days out for everyone, offering an unrivalled ran...
- The Pig on the Hill - Bideford (9.5 miles) - The story of our pub begins with a pig, but more about him later. Our pub sits on top of a hill, surr...
See and Do
- Marwood Hill Garden, Plant Sales & Tea Room Nr Barnstaple (0.0 miles) - Welcome to this very special private garden tucked secretly away in a Devon valley. Covering some 20 ...
- Lets Go! Barnstaple (2.1 miles) - Lets Go - BarnstapleLets Go! UK’s first state-of-the-art, eco-friendly skating rink glides into Ba...
- Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Pk Combe Martin (5.9 miles) - Set in 28 Acres of Sub Tropical paradise, this stunning park is not only home to some of the most en...
- Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park Ilfracombe (5.9 miles) - Explore 28 acres of sub tropical paradise with exotic birds and animals and the most realistic anima...
- Hele Cornmill and Tearoom Hele, Ilfracombe (6.4 miles) - A 16th century working cornmill with award winning tearoom situated just 300m from Hele Bay, Ilfraco...