Come and join us and experience one of the worlds most incredible animal migrations. Whale Watching Byron Bay will take you right up to the humpback whales with the amazing Byron Bay landscape as a backdrop.
Humpback whales, dolphins, turtles and a variety of amazing sea birds await you on a tour with Whale Watching Byron Bay, Byron Bay’s original and most unique whale watching experience.
Whale Watching Byron Bay is the only whale watching tour operator departing directly from Byron Bay . This allows us the quickest access to the Humpback whale migration on the Australian east coast.
Whale Watching Byron Bay has been operating since 2002 making us Byron Bay’s most experienced whale watching tour operator. Over the years we have developed a tour that will provide you with a safe, informative and rewarding experience.
We conduct small personalised interpretive tours with a maximum of only 12 whale watchers per vessel. Tours are conducted on purpose built RIB vessels designed for unobstructed viewing of the whales. Each vessel is annually inspected by the NSW Maritime Authority to ensure it complies with all current safety regulations.
The unique geography of Byron Bay’s Cape Byron allows us to pin point each whale’s location, therefore Whale Watching Byron Bay’s tours often encounter whales within minutes of departing Byron Bay.
Whale Watching Byron Bay offers a return trip in the unlikely event that we don’t encounter whales on your tour.
In an effort to contribute to Humpback whale conservation, Whale Watching Byron Bay contribute a portion of every fare to Southern Cross University’s Whale Research Centre. In addition we are an active participant in Southern Cross University’s Fluke Matcher whale identification program.
Whale Watching Byron Bay conduct daily whale watching tours between June and November.
The migration route of the Australian east coast Humpback whale brings them in such close proximity to Byron Bay’s Cape Byron it is likely you will encounter several whales during your tour. There are no long boat rides to and from whale watching sites and your whale watching adventure begins immediately.
Our whale watching guides will impart interesting facts about the migrating whales as well as Cape Byron Marine Park’s many other sea creatures including dolphins, sea turtles and many different species of sea bird. Each of Whale Watching Byron Bay’s vessels is equipped with a hydrophone so you can listen to the Humpback whales amazing whale song.
All of our RIB vessels are permitted by New South Wales Marine Parks Authority to engage in whale watching activities within the Cape Byron Marine Park (Permit No.CBMP2008/CA005) and are fully licensed by the New South Wales Maritime Authority (Survey No.21923).
Whale Watching Byron Bay conduct tours every day during the whale watching season (June-November).
Trips are scheduled at 8:00am, 10:30am and 1:00pm (dependant on sea conditions).
Passengers meet at Whale Watching Byron Bay’s base located at 9 Marvell St Byron Bay (pre booking essential). Adults AUD$89.00, Children under 12 AUD$55.00. Duration in total is 3hrs 30 mins (approximately) with 2hrs 30 mins (approximately) out on the water.
Various marine life and bird life
Julian Rocks marine life tour
Trained eco guides
Hydrophone to listen to whale song
Underwater Viewing Devices
Transfers from central Byron to vessel
What to bring:
Rain coat (optional)
Shorts/Loose pants you can roll up above the knees (you will get your feet wet)
Warm clothing (e.g. Jacket, fleece, warm head wear)
Eat and Drink
- O-sushi - Byron bay (0.2 miles) - Famous for being a place where city types can kick back and take it easy, this is a place for enrich...
- Amaze 'n' Place - Alstonville (18.1 miles) - Unique hedge maze, puzzle centre, puzzle gift shop, cafe. Non-claustrophobic hedge maze - the only on...
- Summerland House Farm - Alstonville (18.4 miles) - Summerland House Farm is a multi-award wining, must-see attraction creating opportunities for people...
- Comfort Inn Centrepoint Motel - Lismore (23.5 miles) - Located conveniently within the CBD of Lismore, the Centrepoint provides excellence in Lismore accom...
See and Do
- Byron Bay Whale Watching Byron Bay (0.0 miles) - Come and join us and experience one of the worlds most incredible animal migrations. Whale Watching ...
- Byron Bay Dive Centre Byron Bay (0.0 miles) - Dive and snorkel the Cape Byron Marine Park with Byron Bay Dive Centre. Experience the underwater br...
- Mountain Bike Tours Byron Bay Byron Bay (0.1 miles) - Choose your adventure! You may journey along remote beaches, ride through nature reserves and exhila...
- Cape Byron Kayaks Byron Bay (0.1 miles) - Byron Bay Sea Kayak tours with Cape Byron Kayaks - The original kayak with the dolphins tour in Byro...
- Byron Bay Adventure Tours Byron Bay (0.8 miles) - Byron Bay Adventure Tours conduct Byron tours that showcase this stunning destination including the ...